The Inspectorate Department consists of Inspection, Investigation, Board and Losses, Monitoring and Enforcement divisions.
- Conduct routine and in-depth inspection of the books of accounts of Federal Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments and other Arms of Governments to ensure compliance with rules, regulations, policy decisions and accounting codes and Internal Audit Guides.
- Ensure Compliance with Financial Rules and Regulations;
- Ensure there is no misuse of public funds;
- Ensure that the internal control systems in the Accounts Division of the Federal Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments and Agencies are adequate.
- Ensure prevention and early detection of frauds and fraudulent practices.
- Ensure accounting personnel and infrastructural facilities put in place by Federal Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments and Agencies who have applied for self-accounting status are adequate.
- Verification of Closure of the Accounts of Federal Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments and Agencies at the beginning of each year.
- Forwarding the recommendations on the assignments carried out by the Inspectorate officers to the AGF in order to obtain his approval through the Director (Inspectorate).
- Communicating the approved recommendations to the Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments and Agencies for necessary corrective actions.
- Compilation of reports of the Divisions and that of the Department for presentation at the Bi-Monthly meeting of the AGF with the Directors (F&A), Head of Accounts and Internal Audit Units of Federal Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments and Agencies.
- Investigating cases of fraud, loss of funds, assets and store items and other financial malpractices in Ministries/Extra-Ministerial Departments, Agencies and Parastatals within and outside Abuja.
- Investigating reported cases of misappropriation of funds that resulted in the loss of funds to Government or staff of Government or other persons for which the Financial Regulations or any other extant rules have been contravened.
- Establishing the extent of fraud or mismanagement, the period covered, the officers involved and advise on the need for full scale board of enquiry.
- Make appropriate recommendations to forestall future reoccurrence.
Board and Losses Division
- Annual Boards of Survey of bank and cash balances of Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments and Agencies.
- Quarterly Surprise Board of Survey of bank and cash balances of Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments of Agencies.
- Board of Enquiry.
- Inspection of obsolete unserviceable items of stores, motor vehicles etc recommended for boarding by MDAs.
- Representing Accountant-General in the Federal Losses Committee and also serves as the Secretariat of the Committee.
Monitoring and Enforcement Division
- To monitor and enforce the implementation of all approved recommended remedial actions to be taken on all observed lapses as a result of the inspection and investigation activities in MDAs
- Follow-up on the implementation of the approved recommendation in the inspection of accounting books and records of the various institutions.
- Ensure actual remittance of all internally generated revenue, withholding tax, value added tax, and unspent balances in MDAs including foreign missions.
- Analyzing all returns forwarded by MDAs.
- Communicating all deficiencies identified in the process of analyzing and evaluation for necessary corrective action.